Sunday 14 October 2012

How beautiful are the feet

A few years ago I spent a few months in India. It was hot and dirty and I fell in love. I fell in love with the food, the colours, and  with these feet and all the feet of girls like her. You could say she is one of the lucky ones she was born a girl and her family loves her. But even though she's in a good family her life won't be easy. There are hundreds of thousand girls who aren't  that lucky. Some are aborted as soon as the parents find out they are having girls, some make it to birth but are left at the hospitals. Even those who are lucky enough to make it home don't have it easy. They are often the last fed in there homes, the last ones to get an education if they get one at all. They are sold into marriage at a young age and then the cycle just keeps going.  Even if she is able to get an education she won't have as many opportunities as her brother.

I met a young girl about 7 at one of the slums who had to quit school and take care of her baby brother all day. This included all the house hold chores and cooking on an open fire. I don't think I was even allowed to use a toaster by myself at seven let alone cook over an open fire!

I was reminded today by my wonder women to not get frustrated by the things that I can't change it's a waste of time.This is true there are many things in my  world I can't change, But this I can change! These feet are not a waste of time! The fact that there are hundreds of thousands missing women in the world needs to be changed! The fact that women are killing there baby girls because they would be better off than living the same life they had needs to be changed! How do we change this? well first these girls need a voice. I'm sure many of the states in India would say they are doing things about it. They are outlawing the dowry system which still happens, It's illegal to find out the sex of your baby but that doesn't stop families from abandoning there baby girl. It's about education, educating women, giving them jobs and helping them and their community to see there value. It's about the world getting behind them and saying No More!! this isn't going to happen anymore. So today I'm saying No More to this. And now you all know about it. So what are you going to do about it now?

No comments:

Post a Comment